We are dedicated to your HEALTH:
We are here to protect not “just your teeth” but your oral cavity as part of the rest of your body. The condition of your mouth can reflect the status of your overall health as well as contribute to other health conditions.
- We take our time and assess your health to make sure there are no limits or extra needs that we should consult with your physician about or research prior to dental treatment.
- At each visit we will review your medical history and take your blood pressure so we can be aware of any changes in your health that might affect your oral health.
- Some medications can be affected by the anesthetics we use and sometimes we need to have a patient discontinue one of their medications for a short period of time so there is not an adverse reaction.
- Many times patients have changes in their health such as mouth breathing or sinus problems that create a dry mouth and often times increase the chance of tooth decay.
- It is common after orthopedic surgery for a surgeon to recommend prophylactic antibiotics, commonly referred to as a premedication, before dental treatment to prevent infection during your healing period.
- In other cases, gastric reflux or fad diets, that include unusual amounts of citrus fruits, can affect the acidity in the mouth and once again increase the chance of an atypical pattern of tooth decay.
- In the case of diabetes, often times we will see an increase in gum and tooth problems due to an overabundance of bacteria. Dry mouth, higher sugar levels in the oral fluids, destruction of collagen in gum tissue and nutritional deficits that lead to interference in the gums being able to heal all contribute to potential oral cavity breakdown in conjunction with diabetes.
- For our patients that are contemplating getting pregnant we advise them on prenatal care for their oral cavity to minimize the contribution of unhealthy gums to the development of their child. The link between bleeding gums and low birthweight of newborns has been well established.
- Unhealthy gums and the link to their contribution to heart conditions, autoimmune diseases and dementia are being heavily researched in the U.S. and around the world.
- Finally, the rise in oral cancer has caused health officials to recognize the integral role that dentists can play in educating patients as well as early detection and treatment of these often debilitating and deadly cancers.
These are just a few of the health conditions that need to be addressed in relational to the health of your oral cavity. Sometimes simply being aware of your risk or current conditions and making adjustments such as using a special rinse, toothpaste or cleaning aid can make the difference between rampant decay and a healthy mouth as well as prevent irreversible damage to your bone and gums that could result in future tooth loss. In the case of early detection of oral cancer it could mean saving someone’s life.
We are committed to your SAFETY:
Cassettes (as seen to the right) provide a means to organize, sterilize, store and transport dental instruments in the most safe and hygienic manner.
Ultrasonic cleaner (as seen to the left) uses sound waves, to form oscillating bubbles, a process called cavitation. These bubbles act on debris to remove it from the instruments. In addition we add specialized detergent formulations to facilitate the removal of all biofilm. Using mechanical means of instrument cleaning rather than hand scrubbing has been proven more effective.
Packaging (as seen to the right) used for instruments and cassettes prior to sterilization includes wrap, paper pouches, plastic pouches, combination paper/plastic pouches. Sterilization packaging is specifically designed to allow penetration of heat, steam or vapor and then to seal the sterilized instruments inside the package for sterile storage.
Sterilizer and indicator testing system
M11 Midmark Sterilizer
According to the CDC, the most widely used and dependable method of sterilization is pressurized steam. It has the largest margin of safety due to its reliability, consistency and lethality to microorganisms. The M11 Midmark sterilizer is a reliable, efficient and effective instrument processing solution.
Indicators – We verify the proper functioning of our sterilization cycles by the use of spore tests called biologic indicators. Biologic indicators consist of highly resistant bacterial spores. Chemical indicators (in the form of tape, strips, tabs and special markings on packaging material) indicate exposure to heat. Heat sensitive chemical indicators that change color after exposure to heat identify packs that have been processed through the heating cycle.
Disposable single use materials:
We use single use chair and light covers, x ray covers, bibs, gloves, masks, saliva ejectors, water syringes, brush applicators, wells, bonding agents, burs, digital impression scanning sheaths to name just a few of the numerous one time use disposable items during your dental procedures. We have found that minimizing the instruments and materials that we have to sterilize allows us to elevate the quality of our treatment and the comfort and care our patients receive. We simply do not have to spend so much time processing and caring for materials and equipment when we use single use items.
We are devoted to making you feel COMFORTABLE as a guest in our office:
Reception: Coming from work or school and need a snack before your appointment? We provide Starbucks coffee, Pure Roast low acidic coffee, herbal and black teas, juices, bottled water, fresh fruit and energy bars for your convenience.
Treatment Suites: Feel chilled or have a neck or back issue? We provide blankets if you are cold and tempurpedic pillows for neck, back and leg support. Have a strong gag reflex? Our Isolyte System retracts, aspirates and illuminates for an easier appointment for you. In addition, no more goop used for taking molds for your crowns- we have a 3D Itero Digital Scanner. XDR Digital X-ray makes taking your x-rays easier while minimizing radiation.
Comfort Bar: After your appointment, have the need to freshen up? We provide you with disposable combs, and toothbrushes, hair spray, mouth rinse, lip balm, and lotion.
Children’s Room: Your youngster a little apprehensive about their visit? Put them at ease by viewing our treatment room for children. Our rotating child friendly themes make coming to the dentist a treat. We currently are featuring our Panda theme with a special treat for our young guests. We use the “show and tell” method to walk children through what to expect during each visit. As we treat the children of the children we first treated early in the practice we have perfected a manner of treatment that insures a lifetime of dental health.
We are always open to suggestions to improve your care and comfort, so let us know if you have an idea to share. Some of the comforts we provide now were suggested by our existing patients.